What is CEC?

Did you know that if you are a temporary foreign worker or an international student in Canada who meets a specific set of requirements, you could be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) immigration category? 

A major positive of the Canadian Experience Class application is that they can be filed within Canada.

What is the Canadian Experience Class?

Under this program, international students and temporary foreign workers can use their Canadian experience on their applications for permanent residency. This Canadian immigration stream recognizes that your time spent in Canada makes you a good candidate for permanent residency and that you will be able to transition into permanent residency and society in general.

The requirements for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) immigration stream are as follows:

1. You must have legally come to Canada to work or study.
2. You must have legal temporary status in Canada when you apply.
3. You must have moderate proficiency in one or both of the official languages (English or French).

If you are an international student, you are required to have two years of post-secondary Canadian education, one year of full-time Canadian work experience in a specific job category and the language proficiency requirement also applies.

If you are a temporary foreign worker, you are required to have two years of full-time Canadian skilled work (within the last three years) in a specific job category and the language proficiency requirements also apply.

These job categories typically relate to professional, managerial and skilled work professions.

The Canadian Experience Class might be the perfect immigration stream for you! Contact our immigration law firm for an assessment of your case. We can help you determine if this is the right immigration stream for you and make sure that your application is seen in the most positive light.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.