Get a J1-Visa If You Are Visiting the US for Educational or Cultural Exchange Purposes

The J-1 visa is used by international visitors to enter the United States (U.S.) temporarily for educational or cultural exchange purposes.

  • The Exchange Visitor Program is carried out under the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961, as amended, and administered by the Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
  • Exchange Visitor program participants are expected to return to their respective home countries to utilize the skills that they acquire while in the U.S.

Here is a list of Exchange Visitor Program categories:

  • Trainees and interns in medicine, business, and other fields;
  • Secondary, college, and university students;
  • Teachers at all academic levels;
  • Professors employed to teach and/or perform research at post-secondary institutions;
  • Au pairs;
  • Government Visitors; and
  • Research Scholars.

Each category has specific requirements and regulations.

Requirements For J-1 Visa That You Should Know

  • In order to apply for a J-1 visa, applicants must be sponsored by an American organization to come to the U.S. as a visitor in a recognized exchange category.
  • Also, applicants are required to obtain a Form DS-2019 from their sponsor before applying for a J-1 visa.
  • J-1 visitors must have the requisite academic background to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program, including knowledge of the English language (unless the program does not require such knowledge).
  • In addition, applicants must demonstrate that they plan to depart the U.S. at the conclusion of their exchange program, that they have compelling social and economic ties abroad which they have no intention of abandoning, and that they have sufficient funds to cover living expenses incurred while in the U.S.
  • Exchange visitors coming to the U.S. for medical education or training must have passed the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination.

Increase Your Chances Of J1-Visa Approval

Applying for J1-Visa is not something you want to do yourself.  Getting the right support documents and knowing how to fill out an application correctly are essential to increasing your chances of a favorable outcome.

Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain US Immigration Work Permits and Visas each year.

  • We have a proven track record in our Ottawa office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
  • Our US immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now

Click Here to get a no-obligation assessment by one of our top US immigration lawyers

Thanks Again Niren and Associates! Just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work.I’m now in Los Angeles, and everything is going well. Again just wanted to say thank you to you and your staff for all your hardwork. Thanks Again. Matt C.

J-1 Visa Employment Authorization

J-1 visa holders may be authorized to work in the U.S. as part of their exchange program. Participants in programs which do not involve work may not engage in outside employment.

J-1 Visa Foreign Residency Requirements

An exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement if the following conditions exist:

  • The program in which the exchange visitor is participating is directly or indirectly financed in whole or in part by the U.S. government or the government of the exchange visitor;
  • The exchange visitor entered the United States to receive graduate medical education or training; Or
  • The exchange visitor is a national or permanent resident of a country which has deemed the field of specialized knowledge or skill necessary to the development of the country.
  • If the exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home country foreign residence requirement, he or she cannot change his/her status to that of H Visa, L Visa, K Visa,
  • or lawful US permanent resident until he or she has returned to his/her home country for at least two years or received a waiver of that requirement.

We Can Help You Get Results With Our Experienced US Immigration Lawyers

At Niren & Associates we don’t dabble in other forms of law like personal injury, tax or family law. All our resources are focused on US and Canadian immigration- it’s what we do best.  Let us help you.

Click Here to get assistance from our Ottawa, ON office with one of leading US immigration attorneys today

The whole thing came together very easily and far more quickly than trying to do it by myself. The whole procedure was managed extremely professionally and in a shorter time period. Phil D.