Will my US Criminal Record Cause Me to be Denied Entry to Canada?

In this age of heightened border security, a United States criminal record can indeed result in your being denied entry to Canada – even if the criminal offence was seemingly small or occurred more than a decade in the past, it can still come back to haunt you and interfere with your ability to cross the US-Canada border. Denied Entry to Canada

What if I’ve gotten into Canada before with a criminal record?

If you have previously entered Canada while being a United States criminal record holder, consider yourself lucky. However, getting in just once does not guarantee that you will get into Canada again. It is all up to the Canadian official at the border, and the border official may be different every time. If you’ve gotten into Canada before, it doesn’t mean you won’t be denied entry to Canada the next time.

Can I still visit Canada?

You may be able to obtain a TRP, which is also called a temporary resident permit or Canadian visitor’s visa. With a temporary resident permit, you would have a visa to come to Canada that would allow you entry despite your criminal inadmissibility.

However, a temporary resident permit is not all that easy to obtain. You will have to explain why you want to visit Canada, discuss the details of your criminal case and prove that you will leave Canada once your temporary resident permit has expired.

You can apply for a temporary resident permit at the Canada-US border or the Canadian port of entry, like an airport for example. However, applying for a temporary resident permit at the border or port of entry can be very risky. You could still be denied, and have to turn around and return to where you came from. This can be expensive, and upsetting.

You also have the option of applying at your nearest Canadian consulate or Canadian embassy. This takes longer, but you won’t have to travel and risk having to turn around.

Whichever type of temporary resident permit application process you choose, it’s vital that you discuss your case with a licensed immigration attorney. We can help you make sure your application is flawless and that you haven’t missed including any of the necessary supporting documentation. Contact us using the form on the right!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.