Can a visitor in Canada apply for permanent resident status?

It is not uncommon for people who come to Canada on a visitor visa to want to extend their stay or move to Canada permanently by obtaining permanent resident statusCanadian visitor visa

However, this is not an easy transition and there are many rules and regulations in place when it comes to becoming a permanent resident of Canada, even if you have successfully obtained a temporary visa such as a visitor visa, a work visa or a study visa on a previous occasion or you are currently holding a temporary visa.

In most cases, someone must leave Canada and then apply for permanent residency in Canada from their country of origin using one of the several different avenues available to them. However, there are several exceptions to this rule.

Applying for permanent resident status from within Canada

There are several options for people in Canada temporarily who wish to obtain permanent residency. Once way to apply for permanent residency from within Canada as a visitor is if you have married a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, and they can sponsor you while you apply for permanent residency from within Canada. However, you must be able to prove to immigration authorities that your relationship is legitimate.

Someone who is in Canada on a work or study permit may be eligible to apply for permanent residency from within Canada via the Canadian Experience Class, provided they have the required work experience.

Refugees, Temporary Resident Permit holders and live-in caregivers are other exceptions, and are examples of people who can apply for permanent residency from within Canada.

Applying for permanent resident status in Canada is not an easy process, but you may be eligible. To determine your eligibility for permanent resident status and to explore your options, please contact our immigration law firm at the telephone number above. We can help you.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.



Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.