If you have or are working for an existing business in Canada or another country, you may qualify for an L1 Visa to the US.
L1 Visas are a type of US Work Visa and are for people expanding their business to the U.S. or are being transferred to an existing American Business.
Two Types of L-1 Visas:
- L-1A Visas are issued for employees working as an executive or manager for their company.
- L-1B Visas are those persons with specialized knowledge.
- Each of these terms (manager, executive and specialized knowledge worker) have a very specific legal definition. It is therefore important that you consult with an immigration lawyer to determine if you qualify.
Some Requirements for L1 Visas
- You must have worked outside the United States such as in Canada for one full year within the preceding three years on a full time basis; and
- You must have worked for a “qualifying organization” outside the United States as an executive, manager or in a “specialized knowledge”; and
- You are being transferred to the United States to work for a new or existing U.S. Business that is either subsidiary, branch or affiliate of the Canadian company.
Business Qualifications for an L1 Visa
- L1 visas are available to employees working for companies outside the United States such as in Canada that have BRANCHES, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES OR JOINT VENTURE PARTNERS in the United States.
- Each type of business relationship is precisely defined by U.S. Immigration Regulations and legal advice is required to determine whether the business relationship complies with the INS definition.
L1 Visa Requirements Are Confusing Without Expert Legal Counsel
Anytime you deal with immigration issues, the only guarantee is that it is not simple. Putting together an application incorrectly or even missing an important section or necessary support documents can negatively impact your case. We can help you alleviate the stress and anxiety that comes if you are doing the paperwork all by yourself.
Niren & Associates has over 14 years of experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain L-1 Visas.
- We exclusively practice US and Canadian immigration so our firm is equipped to handle immigration cases
- We have a proven track record in our Ottawa office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
- Our US immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now
We selected Niren & Associates following a very careful investigation on our part as well as meeting with several attorneys at various law firms. We were coached throughout the process as to choosing the suitable status under which to apply and then led us through the entire application procedure. You staff meticulously prepared the application and verified our work and made several suggestions during that procedure. Irfan P.
A L1- Visa Can Lead To Getting a US Green Card
- Persons holding or persons who are eligible for a L-1A visa as an Executive or Manager may qualify for an employment based green card.
- In addition, you also can apply for a green card without having to undergo the rigorous process of Labor Certification which involves proving that there are no U.S. workers who can fill the position offered by the U.S. employer.
L1 Visas for Canadians
Canadians can apply for L1 Work Visas and can take advantage of NAFTA by of applying for L1 visas at a U.S/Canadian port of entry rather than having to apply at a U.S. immigration office called a Service Center in the U.S. This means that the Canadian can take all his or her documentation to a U.S. border and receive an L1 Visa on the spot!
Documentation Required To Apply For a L1 Visa?
Generally, there are a long list of documents that you need for the L1 Visa including information about the existing Canadian company, your employment in Canada, business plans for the US, US company documents etc. There are also U.S. Immigration forms to complete such as the I-129.
L-1 Visa Assistance Can Be Yours If You Choose
IMPORTANT!! Always make sure you have ALL the necessary documents before applying for your L1 Visa.
I walked in expecting the worst as a result of passed occurrences with a prior law firm instead walked into a really good situation. The officer didn’t have any negative remarks about the application and issued the L1A Visa in minutes of waiting for the interview window. Thank you a great deal. I give you a WOW for support and knowledge. Dale S.