Do You Want to Work in the USA Through Investment and Trade?
E Visas and US work visas are for people who are entering the U.S. for work in trade or in investment in services or activities.
These visas can only be issued to countries where there is a treaty with the foreign national’s country and the USA. See below for countries which have multilateral treaties with the United States.
There are two types of E visas:
- E-1 (trader) E-1 visas are for individuals involved in the exchange, purchase or sale of goods/services or merchandise.
- E-2 (investor) E-2 visas US work visas and are for owners and investors in businesses in the United States. The E-2 is a non-immigrant us work visa that may be granted for “substantial” investments in the U.S. An investment must meet several criteria in order to qualify for an E-2 visa.
E-1/E-2 Visa Requirements Can Be Complex Without The Right Legal Counsel
US immigration is a complicated field even for those in the industry, so let us help you navigate through the whole process from the beginning to the end. We exclusively practice US and Canadian immigration, so we can help.
Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain US Immigration Work Permits and Visas.
- We have a proven track record in our Ottawa office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
- Our US immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now
Everything went pretty well. I got my E-1 visa last week and went to NYC immediately. Thank you so much. The visa is for two years. Best regards! Gregg A
What Are The Qualifications To Apply For a E-1 Trader Visa?
- Individuals involved in the exchange, purchase or sale of goods/services or merchandise.
- Services include technology transfer, architecture and engineering services, management consulting or accounting.
- The trade in goods and services should be substantial, as defined by the INS, in terms of value, volume or a large number of small transactions.
- The trade must be principally with the treaty country.
- More than 50% of the total volume of international trade must be between the U.S. and the treaty country.
- The amount of trade must be sufficient to ensure a continuous flow of international trade between the U.S. and the treaty country.
- Trade can be binding contracts that call for the future exchange of items.
- Income derived from the value of numerous transactions that is sufficient to support the trades and his/her family is a favourable factor.
What Are The Qualifications To Apply For an E-2 Investor Visa?
- Showing that “substantial” investment or funds are available and committed to the investment;
- The investment must be in an active business as opposed to passive investment such as purchasing a home;
- At least 50% of the business must be owned by an alien from a country which has a treaty with the United States;
- The investment must create enough profit to provide a living for more than just the alien and his/her family.
- There is no minimum amount of investment necessary to obtain an E-2 visa, and whether an amount will be considered “substantial” depends on the type of business involved, the number of jobs created the alien’s personal assets, etc.
- In most cases, the investment should be at least $100,000USD but sometimes it may be less than this.
- Employees of E-2 companies may be granted E-2 visas if they are or will be engaged in duties that are executive, managerial, or supervisory in nature.
- If employed in a minor capacity, the employee may be granted E-2 visa if he or she has special qualifications that make the services to be rendered essential to the enterprise.
- The spouse and children (unmarried and under 21) of E-1 or E-2 visa holders are entitled to the same E-1 or E-2 classification as the principal.
Countries which have Signed Treaties for E-1 and / or E-2 Visas:
Treaties conferring only E-1 treaty-trader status exist with the following countries:
Treaties conferring only E-2 treaty-investor status exist with the following countries:
Increase Your Chances of Approval of E-1/E-2 Work Visa Applications
Documentation and application paperwork must be done properly, so that you can have the best chances of approval by the US immigration officials reviewing your case.
I am really thankful for your guidance and help provide to get my E2 visa. Albert S.