Most of us know what a visitor is: those people wishing to come to Canada for a temporary purpose to do things like vacation, study, or work.
Unless you are a citizen from a visa exempt country, you will require a visitor visa to qualify for entry to Canada.
What You Need To Know About Visitor Visas for Canada
It is important to note that a visitor visa or Temporary Resident Visas (TRV) does not guarantee admission to Canada.
- When coming to Canada, visitors must always satisfy a visa officer at the Canadian port of entry that the purpose of the visit is of a temporary nature.
- What happens when you come to Canada and then wish to leave and then come back before the expiry of your visa?
- Well, visitor visas come with different “features”.
- Some are single entry visas which mean that they are for one entry to Canada only.
- If you leave Canada and wish to return, you will have to apply for another visa unless you are traveling to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
- Some visas are multiple entry visas which allow people to leave and return to Canada during the validity of their visas.
- If you are in Canada on a visitor visa and wish to apply for an extension of your visitor status, you can do so at a Canadian immigration office within Canada but you should do so before the expiration of your visitor status.
- Generally but not always, when you come to Canada as a visitor, you will be issued a visa for a six month period.
Our Immigration Attorneys Can Help
‘When you want something done right, then do it yourself’ is an old expression that won’t work for you when applied to Canadian immigration.
You want the best possible chances of not being denied and getting your application approved. Tell us about your situation and ask us your most pressing questions.
Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain Temporary Residence Visitor Visas each year.
- We have a proven track record in our Ottawa office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
- Our Canadian lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now
Thank you so much for your impressive turnaround on my need to enter Canada on incredibly short notice. Without having your assistance there is no chance I would have been capable of being present for my urgent business meeting there. I am not able to thank you enough and greatly appreciate the interest that you paid me. Leland A.
Visitor Visa Exemptions
Some people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:
- Citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Republic of Korea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St.Vincent, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, Tuvalu, United States, Vanuatu, Western Samoa and Zimbabwe;
- Persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (USA Green Card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.
- British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom;
- Citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands; Turkish citizens traveling on a diplomatic passport; and Persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See.
July 14, 2009: Visitors from Mexico Now Require Visas
Citizens of the following countries DO require a Visa to VISIT or TRANSIT Canada:
Central African Republic
China, People’s Republic
Congo (The), Democratic Republic of
Congo (The), People’s Republic of
Israel (only Israeli citizens holding valid Israeli orange “Travel Document in Lieu of National Passport”)
Macedonia (former Yugoslav Republic of)
Pacific Islands, U.S. Trust Territory
Sao Tome e Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
Make The Best Choice For Legal Assistance for Visitor Visas
If you want to temporarily visit Canada, there are a few different ways we can help you to apply. At Niren & Associates we have the infrastructure to properly handle immigration cases because we exclusively focus and practice US and Canadian immigration.
Michael Niren is one of the most proficient, thoughtful and diligent lawyers I have ever worked with. A true leader in his field. Danielle P.